Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that TAHIR FARID, 22, of Hamden, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Robert N. Chatigny in Hartford to six months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for distributing oxycodone involved in an overdose earlier this year.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on January 3, 2016, a 20-year-old male purchased 30 oxycodone pills from FARID in exchange for $900.  He then consumed some of those pills, as well as other substances, including Xanax.  On January 5, 2016, the 20-year-old male was found unresponsive at a friend’s residence in Weston.  He remains unresponsive, has no brain activity and is currently receiving care in a nursing home.

The investigation revealed that, prior to the victim’s overdose, Ryan Looney, also of Hamden, supplied FARID with oxycodone pills.  FARID then distributed the pills to the victim.

FARID was arrested on February 22, 2016.  On April 26, he pleaded guilty to one count of possession with intent to distribute, and distribution of, oxycodone.

Looney pleaded guilty to the same charge and is scheduled to be sentenced on December 6.

Judge Chatigny ordered FARID, during his three-year term of supervised release, to perform 120 hours of community service, and requested that the community service be directed at educating school-aged children about the dangers of using opioids.

This prosecution is part of an ongoing statewide initiative targeting narcotics dealers who distribute heroin, fentanyl or opioids that cause death or serious injury to users.

This matter is being investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Haven Tactical Diversion Squad, U.S. Marshals Service, Weston Police Department and Monroe Police Department.  The Tactical Diversion Squad includes members from the New Haven, Hamden, Greenwich, Shelton, Bristol, Vernon, Wilton, Milford, Monroe, Fairfield and Manchester Police Departments, and the Connecticut State Police.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert M. Spector.